Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
wok or frying pan, wooden spoon, knife
2 sticks of celery
2 tablespoons of white cabbage, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
Quarter lb of mushrooms, sliced?
Half pint of tin tomatoes
Root ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon of pineapple juice
Small can of bean sprouts
Cooked rice for four
1. Heat the oil until it is very hot. Fry the onion and garlic for about three minutes, Add ginger.
2. Add the cabbage, carrot and celery. Fry for a further 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Add the mushrooms and pepper and continue to stir.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and spices. Stir for a further 2 minutes.
5. Serve on a bed of rice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
wok or frying pan, knife, wooden spoon
2 tablespoons of oil
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
I small can of bamboo shoots
Quarter ounce of mushrooms
Green pepper, chopped
3 ounces of egg noodles
2 tablespoons of wine vinegar (or 1 tablespoon of cooking sherry)
Soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
Scrambled egg to garnish
1. Boil a saucepan of water, add noodles, simmer for 5 minutes and drain
2. Heat the oil and fry the vegetables in it for about ten minutes, stirring.
3. Add the noodles, spices and wine vinegar. Stir to ensure the noodles are coated
4. Turn onto serving dish and garnish with scrambled egg.
Chop 10 -12 oz of potatoes into one inch cubes and boil When cooked sprinkle with/ toss in quarter tsp of tumeric & half tsp salt
Recipe for the Paste
6 cloves of garlic
1 ” cube of ginger
Chop up and make paste with 3 oz of water
Fry potatoes in 30z of oil remove
Fry 1 tsp cumin seeds and 3 cardamoms in remaining oil for 30 seconds Put in ginger, garlic paste, 1 tin of tomatoes, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp of ground coriander.
Simmer & reduce until the paste is thick
Add the potatoes again only this time with 80z water and 12 oz of mushrooms.
Simmer with lid on for 5 mins. Then simmer until this sauce has thickened Add 1 tsp garam masala. Stir and serve with nan breads & rice etc.
8 oz red lentils
2 tbsp oil
half tsp methi seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
Half tsp of haldi
2 tsp jeera
2 tsp dhania
Quarter tsp sugar
Half tsp garum masala
tin of tomatoes
1. Wash (thoroughly) and cook about 8 ounces red lentils until mushy (25 minutes on high heat, then simmer forever)
2. Heat 2 tablespoonfuls of oil and fry half a teaspoon of methi seeds, 1 teaspoonful of mustard seeds, 1 teaspoonful of cumin seeds, 2 or 3 cloves, a little cinnamon stick and a bay leaf.
3. Add lentils to this mixture. Bring to the boil
4. Add to this salt, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, half a teaspoonful of haldi, 2 teaspoonfuls of jeera, 2 teaspoonfuls of dhania, a quarter of a teaspoonful sugar, half a teaspoonful of garum masala
5. Stir then add half a tin of tomatoes and a little lemon juice
MICKS BROWN LENTIL BOLOGNESE
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes. Cooking time: Lentils: 40 minutes, sauce and spaghetti: 20 minutes
Two large saucepans, knife, wooden spoon, cheese grater
Half a packet of whole-meal spaghetti
3 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoonfuls tomato puree
Dash of soy sauce
4 ounces of brown lentils
1 tablespoon of margarine
Salt and Pepper
2 to 3 ounces of grated cheese
1. Cook the lentils by boiling them for 40 minutes (20 minutes in a pressure cooker)
2. Peel and chop the onions and garlic. Fry in the margarine with salt and pepper until soft
3. Add the chopped peppers and fry on a low heat for a further five minutes
4. Tip in the tin of tomatoes, chopping them with a wooden spoon
5. Add the tomato puree and soy sauce. The taste at this stage should be quite strong. Add more if necessary.
6. Add the lentils with more water if necessary
7. Top with grated cheese in generous amounts and serve on spaghetti
Large saucepan, knife, wooden spoon
I clove garlic, chopped
I green pepper, chopped
Half cauliflower in small florets
half a can of tomatoes
half pint of water
Tablespoonful of tomato paste
2 carrots finely sliced
Half teaspoonful Celery salt to taste
Half teaspoonful black pepper to taste
1 teaspoonful of oil
4 ounces of mushrooms
2 ounces of grated cheese
1 ounce of Sosmix or red lentils
1. Heat oil and fry onion, pepper and garlic
2. Add the tomatoes, water, carrots, cauliflower, lentils (if used) mushrooms, tomato paste and spices
3. Cook for thirty minutes and simultaneously cook the spaghetti
4. If using some Sosmix add Sosmix to thicken
5. Serve with spaghetti and garnish with grated chees
MICKS NORTH SEA OIL CURRY
1 tsp salt
half tsp ginger
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
half tsp cayenne
half tsp cumin
half tsp mustard seeds
2/3 bay leaves
2/3 cloves of garlic
3/4 medium sized potatoes
12 oz sliced mushrooms
2 chopped tomatoes
1 tin of garden peas
1. Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks. Put in small saucepan and cover with water. Put to one side.
2. Put oil in large saucepan and heat spices listed above for about 5 minutes.
3. When mustard seeds begin to pop (and not until) pour in potatoes and water and on full heat cook for about 8-10 minutes.
4. When the potatoes are just about to go soft add mushrooms peas and tomatoes. Stir in the mixture. The mushrooms will gradually reduce in bulk, so do not add any more water if you want a thick viscous texture to the curry. Cook for another 2 minutes and then simmer for a short while before serving. Make sure potatoes break up easily with a fork before serving.
5. Serve with boiled rice, Tarka Dahl. mango chutney and plain yogurt.